Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Skylines and views from beyond

My visit to University of Johannesburg yesterday began with two traffic jams on the M1. How very Jozi I thought as I looked east towards the skyline that I absolutely love. I come to Joburg often, in many ways this is my second home and without fail, I get a thrill every time I approach the city on the M2 coming from the airport. There is something about this city that excites me. Despite its reputation as an unsafe, noisy, aggresive and congested metropolis I often find myself defending it. Its energy, its very urban history and its diversity appeal to many of my sensibilities.

UJ's Town and Regional Planning Department is situated on its Doornfontein campus. The John Orr building is an imposing edifice that could easily feel oppresive and depressing. Yet, standing in its rooms, I have a moment... there it is again; that skyline. The meeting was informative and productive. UJ trains a large number of students with a small staff complement. I wonder how these students translate what they learn as they negotiate traffic, minibus taxis and street vendors in the shadow of the imposing Ponte, that round highrise that has become a landmark in many films that portray life in Egoli. I think that training planners in the midst of the inner city has its advantages. The laboratory surrounds the classroom.

As I drive back to Melville in my insulated, rented, air-conditioned vehicle past the messy edges of Yeoville I wonder if these urban experiences should not extend to academics....I inadvertendly find myself back on the M1, heading north this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment