Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Youthful Reflections

Following a series of meetings with my AAPS colleagues at Kenyatta University on Day 1, I spent my second day in the company of some very special people…accumulating an interesting array of experiences. A walk through Uhuru Park took me to a meeting at the Serena Hotel. The walk through Uhuru Park was uneventful, despite the Lonely Planet’s assertions to be careful; the entrance to the elegant Serena was not! Kofi Annan is in town and he is staying, no doubt with many other VIPs, at the Serena… I strolled in backpack on back with not so much as a second look in my direction. I am not sure if this says more about my sombre suit or the security at the Serena…

I know about Annan’s visit because I read the Kenyan newspapers; they are fantastic! What may be lacking in investigative journalism is more than compensated by editorial opinion and good quality reporting. My favourite thus far is Mutayi Ngunyi’s recommendation in the Sunday Nation: “Mr President, what you need is ‘reverse mentoring’ from my generation” (fortunately I JUST make it into Mr Ngunyi’s generation of 30 and 40 year olds) Tolstoy and Naomi Klein inform this ‘Last Word on Sunday’ that argues that attention to contemporary views and the energy of the X and Y generations will inform a more connected Presidency… “Your generation owns this country, my generation runs it.”

I was reminded of these words when I visited Kibera with a student from KU later in the day. The bus ride took only 15 minutes; I expected the South African township experience where a one-way trip can take you up to 2 hours in traffic. Kibera is known to be the biggest informal settlement in Africa, perhaps rivalled by Soweto. Interestingly there is a Soweto IN Kibera, site of recent removals to controversial high density accommodation constructed recently (picture). The densities are staggering! Popping out of the finely woven fabric of tin and corrugated iron are small circular structures with cheerful blue roofs. These are bio-centres, ablution blocks and community spaces, constructed by the Umande Trust, an NGO that hosted me for the afternoon. These small buildings make a big impact. They are multi-functional. In addition to providing ablution facilities with hot water facilitated through bio-fuels, community groups raise funding by cooking meals using generated gas; the roof hosts community group meetings. Many of these are youth groups. One of these is in the process of being constructed another one of these structures. I chatted to one young man whilst he was busy shovelling soil in the hot sun. As far as he was concerned he was learning on the job and making a difference while doing it. On our way back to downtown Nairobi, my young friend from KY was careful to point out that these buildings are maintained and sustained because of the young people’s involvement and support. As I watched the UNICEF advertorial on the bus’s TV screen, I wondered:

Are you listening Mr President?

No comments:

Post a Comment